SPECIALIZED TREATMENT MODALITIES
Eyemovement Densensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
Eyemovement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) integrates elements of multiple psychotherapies in structured protocols that are designed to maximize treatment effects. These therapies include: psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, interpersonal, experiential, and body-centered therapies . EMDR is an information processing therapy and uses an eight phase approach. During the 8 phases of treatment the client attends to past and present experiences while simultaneously focusing on an external stimulus. Then the client is instructed to let new material become the focus of the next set of dual attention and is repeated several times during the session.
SEX OFFENDER EVALUATIONS AND TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
The evaluation of a sexual offender requires a review of all materials relevant to the offenses, including statements to the police, previous psychological evaluations, witness accounts of his/her behavior, and past criminal record. The clinician will then conduct a clinical interview and administer various testing (Multiphasic Sexual Inventory, Adolescent Psychopathology Scale, DSMD, Sexual Adjustment Inventory, Violence Risk Inventory etc.) appropriate to the situation. A more detailed psychosexual history is a vital part of this evaluation.
The report will summarize the findings of the evaluation, and will specifically indicate whether there is evidence of repetitive and compulsive sexual behavior. Additionally, treatment recommendations will be made, as well as presenting a prognosis regarding the likelihood for future criminal sexual behavior.
COMPREHENSIVE SUBSTANCE ABUSE EVALUATION AND TREATMENT RECOMMENDATION
At Sims Consulting & Clinical Services we offer an individualized and objective, Comprehensive Substance Abuse Evaluation and Treatment Recommendation. This service is designed to assist individuals, physicians, therapists and family members to determine to what degree a consumer has a substance abuse problem, and what treatment, if any, would be clinically appropriate.
The evaluation consists of:
- A Psychosocial evaluation is conducted by a Master's Level Addiction Specialist that is at a minimal registered with NCSAPPB.
- Clients are observed for mood, behavior and mental status.
- Clinical interview and evaluation. (This comprehensive interview is conducted to gather information in a number of areas including family background, social history, legal history, medical history, mental health history and substance use history and patterns. The interview also assesses client responses and reactions).
TRAUMA FOCUSED COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
The goal of TF-CBT is to help address the unique needs of children with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or other problems related to traumatic life experiences, and their parents or primary caregivers. This model of therapy combines trauma-sensitive interventions with cognitive behavioral therapy. The consumer and his/her parents are provided knowledge and skills related to processing the trauma; managing distressing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors; and enhancing safety, parenting skills, and family communication.
TF-CBT is an individualized, short-term treatment that involves both individual and family therapy. TF-CBT is provided to children and adolescents ages 4 to 18 who have significant behavioral or emotional impairments that are related to traumatic events even if they do not meet DSM IV criteria for PTSD. A reduction in PTSD symptoms, depression, anxiety, behavioral problems, sexualized behaviors, trauma related shame, trust, and social skills have been shown.
MINDFULNESS-BASED COGNITIVE THERAPY (MBCT)
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is a treatment modality which blends features of two disciplines: Cognitive therapy aims to identify and alter cognitive distortions Mindfulness is a meditative practice from Buddhism, which aims to help people identify their thoughts, moment by moment, but without passing judgment on the thoughts. MBCT emphasizes the process of paying attention to thoughts and feelings moment by moment and without judgment.
CLINICAL SUPERVISION, CLINICAL CONSULTATION, PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT, TRAINING, AND DEVELOPMENT
Sims Consulting and Clinical Services provide clinical supervision for individuals seeking licensure, providers seeking clinical consultation, training, and program development. The agency trains providers in the community support service definition, first responders, and person centered thinking, and Mindset Consulting (Prevention Management of Aggressive Behaviors), sex offender treatment, diversity and cultural diversity, and other clinical topics as requested.
- Grief and Loss
- Behavioral Disorders
- Depression/Mood Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder/Acute Stress Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- SPMI population
- Employee Assistance
- Personality Disorders
- Child/Adolescent Disorders
- Crisis Management/Critical Debriefing
- Domestic violence counseling
- Marriage/family therapy
- Gay and Lesbian
MEDICATION MANAGEMENT Sims Consulting & Clinical Services Inc.'s medication management program is designed to treat a wide range of psychiatric and behavioral issues with an emphasis on improvement and continued stabilization of individual's level of functioning and alleviation of biologically based psychiatric symptoms that interfere with functioning. Therapeutic goals of the program include: (a) stabilization of psychiatric symptoms or acute crisis and (b) return of premorbid level of functioning. Medication Management Services Components include the following:
- Psychiatric diagnostic assessment -- A psychiatric, medical history and mental status examination, diagnosis on five axis's, laboratory evaluations deemed appropriate and recommendations for treatment
- Individualized medication evaluation and management -- Prescription of appropriate medication(s) and review of therapeutic effects and side effects (laboratory monitoring of specific agents)
- Appropriate use of laboratory services and referral(s) to other specialists
- Regular and timely documentation of required clinical rating scales
- Appropriate clinical documentation in an individual's care record, including justification for diagnoses and rationale for choice of pharmacologic agents
SPECIALIZED TREATMENT MODALITIES
DWI (Driving While Impaired) Program
The DWI Program uses the PRIME for Life curriculum to reduce the social and economic impact of DWI through public awareness, education, prevention programs and research. The agency provides ADETS, short term, and longer term treatment in both the Huntersville and Salisbury offices. Substance Abuse Intensive Outpatient Treatment (SAIOP) is offered in the Huntersville, NC office only.